Monday, March 20, 2006

We Need to Get Back to Conservative Values

I read an interesting article about helping America return to more Conservative values. This guy is trying to sell a book, but he suggests a "blueprint" of values can be created by asking 6 questions about any government action or policy under consideration. I believe these questions can just as easily serve as a litmus test for how "involved" government is in our lives socially. Here they are:

1. Is it the government’s business?
2. Does it promote self-reliance?
3. Is it responsible?
4. Does it make America more prosperous?
5. Does it make us safer?
6. Does it unify us?


I believe Liberals and Conservatives alike can agree that these questions are good ones to ask before we give the Fed the right to make policy.

I will comment this blog and list existing policies which I believe should get a resounding "NO!" to these questions.

1 comment:

Bullfrog said...

1. Is it the government’s business?
This is a touchy issue, but in general I believe the Government has a job to protect us from outside invasion while also protecting our civil liberties. It is indeed a fine balance.

2. Does it promote self-reliance?
I believe welfare was established for this purpose as it provided a job with pay to many Americans who were impoverished while simultaneously building the U.S. infrastructure. I believe alot has changed and this has become largely a free handout for people unwilling to put in an honest day's work.

3. Is it responsible?
To me abortion is the most irresponsible act being allowed by law. Ironic that there are people standing outside prisons screaming for the right to live for convicted felons, but sanctioning a woman's "right to choose" whether to kill the life growing inside her.

4. Does it make America more prosperous?
One word: amnesty. The perception (or delusion) is that a general amnesty will improve the illegal immigrant (yeah, I said it, ILLEGAL) situation, but I believe it will only send more American dollars South of the border and cause an explosion of illegal immigration.

5. Does it make us safer?
Our governments failure to protect our Southern border flat out scares me and angers me as the almighty dollar is at the root of it.

6. Does it unify us?
Ironically, Political Correctness, which has been steadily seeping into government policy, will ultimately draw us apart, into our own corners, so to speak.